INTRODUCTION TO LEI PRICING AND COSTS
An LEI number or Legal Entity Identifier, is a unique 20-character identifier assigned to legal entities participating in regulated financial transactions globally. The purpose of the LEI is to allow for accurate and efficient identification of counterparties involved in trades and transactions, improving transparency and credibility in the financial market for both regulators and market participants.
When obtaining an LEI, it is crucial to choose a reliable and trustworthy system. Not all providers offer the same level of quality, security, and customer support, and choosing a subpar provider can have serious consequences. It is essential to consider the reputation, reliability, and security of the provider to ensure that your LEI is accurate, up-to-date, and secure.
LEI Codes are primarily required by any legal entity who is involved with financial transactions or operating within todays financial system, especially within the US, UK or EU. There are a number of mandates currently in existence which state "no LEI, no trade". This means if you do not have an LEI number when required, your trades will be blocked.
In this article, we will provide an overview of the costs and pricing associated with obtaining a Legal Entity Identifier (LEI).
This short guide is intended to help you make informed decisions about your LEI requirements, to encourage you to look around at various offerings and to emphasize the importance of choosing a reliable brand with a trustworthy system and partner.
In simple terms, the costs associated with an LEI registration cover the strict vetting process and ID verification required in order to have the LEI issued. There is also the element of the system that require maintenance to allow firms manage and consolidate their LEIs and remain compliant.
Some of the factors that constitute the cost of an LEI and something to consider whenm choosing an LEI provider:
- High quality customer support
- Integrated, fast systems capable of verifying entities quickly
- The GLEIF LEI fee is included
- GLEIF LEI licenses and costs of maintaining high standards
- LEI Management system which allows for easy organisation of group LEIs
- Expert vetting agents ensuring high data quality on your LEI
- Unlimited data changes to LEI e.g address, name change
- LEI monitoring & maintenance
- Automated alerts to LEI related activity
- API System integration (higher data quality, zero failure rate)
Who provides LEI codes?
The Global Legal Entity Identifier Foundation (GLEIF) is the non-profit organization responsible for maintaining the LEI system globally. GLEIF is responsible for ensuring the quality and accuracy of LEI data, as well as promoting the use of LEIs and ELF Codes for improved transparency and efficiency in financial markets.
In addition to GLEIF, there are many other providers of LEIs, including commercial providers and registration agents.
Some of these providers offer low-cost or cheap LEI options, but it is important to carefully consider the reputation, reliability, and security of these providers before making a decision. Choosing a provider with a proven track record of quality and security is essential for ensuring the accuracy and reliability of your LEI.
Cost of obtaining an LEI
The process of obtaining an LEI requires payment of various fees and charges, which vary depending on the provider and the services offered.
The costs associated with obtaining an LEI can be broken down into several categories, including:
- LEI registration fees: These fees cover the initial cost of obtaining an LEI, and are generally a one-time charge.
- LEI renewal fees: Similar verification checks are required to renew and LEI, thus the pricing is similar.
- LEI application fees: Some providers may charge additional fees for processing and handling LEI registrations. Check that the GLEIF fee and no hidden add ons are included in the total pricing.
- Other potential charges: Other fees, such as fees for expedited processing or for additional support services, may also be applicable which are valid and ensure priority service.
- Jurisdictional charges may apply in order to obtain entity documents. E.g in the BVI or Cayman Island.
The costs associated with registering an LEI can vary widely depending on the provider and the services offered.
It is important to carefully compare the fees and charges of different providers to find the best value for your needs.
Some providers may offer low-cost or cheap LEI options, but it is important to carefully consider the reputation, reliability, and security of these providers before making a decision.
our team are always available via email and live chat during business hours if you have any questions, queries or would simply like to understand more about the LEI and a potentially tailored solution to fit your specific requirements.
Benefits of obtaining an LEI
Legal Entity Identifiers (LEIs) are unique, 20-character identifiers that are assigned to legal entities to provide a globally recognized means of identifying businesses and organizations.
The benefits of having an LEI are numerous, including:
- Improved credibility and transparency: An LEI provides a standardized and easily accessible means of identifying and verifying the identity of a legal entity, which can enhance the credibility and transparency of that entity in the eyes of regulators, customers, and other stakeholders.
- Ease of doing business globally: An LEI provides a globally recognized identifier that can simplify cross-border transactions and reduce administrative burdens.
- Access to financial markets: Many financial markets and regulators now require LEIs as a means of identifying and tracking beneficiaries participating in financial transactions. Having an LEI can provide greater access to these markets and enhance the ability to participate in financial transactions.
- Compliace with global LEI mandates: There are over 116 mandates requiring the inclusion of an LEI globally, spaning AML, KYC and securities laws. Ensure you are compliant and avoid facing unnecessary interruptions to business or a no trade ruling!
In this article, we have explored the costs and pricing of Legal Entity Identifiers (LEIs), including the different fees associated with obtaining an LEI and the benefits of having one.
The use of LEI code as an identifier is mandated by a number of EU directives such as EMIR , MiFIR, MIFID II, SFTR & CSDR. The United States also have similar requirements such as the Dodd Frank Act, the OFR, the Federal Reserve and the Securities & Exchange commission (SEC) mandate its use in many forms and filing duties.
It is important to choose a reliable and trustworthy provider for your LEI needs, even if it may come at a higher cost. A trustworthy provider will ensure that your LEI is properly assigned and maintained, similar to other identifiers such as ISINs, providing you with the benefits of having an LEI, including improved credibility and transparency, ease of doing business globally, and access to financial markets.
However it is up to the individual market participants to obtain their own LEI and ensure it is up to date and renewed annually. That is where LEI Worldwide can help. We can help you to renew an LEI, reactivate a lapsed LEI and transfer an LEI that is with another provider. Check for free today on our LEI Checker if your LEI is active and valid.
At LEI Worldwide, we provide top-quality LEI services, ensuring that your business has the best possible chance of success. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you obtain an LEI at a competitive price.
Find out more about how to properly manage your LEI portfolio today!